At envigo, we aim to un-complicate digital marketing for our clients. This is part 1 of a two part series on SEO hygiene parameters.
These are the most common parameters that you should check for optimal website performance.
What you can expect in this part
SEO projects come in all shapes and sizes. Based on a survey we conducted among clients, the macro categories that everyone wants to decode are – mobile SEO, website analytics & tracking, internationalisation and videos. This post will give you a direction to optimise your website for SEO improvements.
- While the debate is still on about mobile website or app only route, strategically speaking, there’s no question about the value that mobile SEO adds to your digital efforts. Early adopters of mobiles created mobile (m.brand.com) versions of their website. While this gave them an edge over others, we noticed that a lot of these websites didn’t have their mobile pages indexed on Google.
- To ensure that your site is crawled, create a mobile sitemap, submit your sitemap to the webmaster and Google analytics, submit your website URL to search engines, update your social profiles and ask your fans to talk about your site to create quality backlinks.
Web analytics and Tracking
Some of the key takeaways which large websites face in their web analytics are:
- Check if your tracking code is on all conversion pages. This will ensure proper revenue measurement.
- If your site offers site search, check if you’re tracking it in your analytics. This will help you understand how your customers use your website in terms of keywords and also help you find keywords with no results (terms your customers are searching and can’t find – new opportunities)
- If your website uses a third party cart, check if you have cross domain tracking in place. If you don’t have cross domain tracking in place on your website (a.com), and your customer lands on your third party cart (shop.a.com), you will see traffic source for shop.a.com as referral, and keyword as none. To ensure seamless integration and help you prioritise keywords that bring you revenue, it’s imperative to use cross domain tracking
- Ensure that you track events to measure the impact of changes (eg. Impact of content change in more page visits, UI improvement and its correlation with signups and so on). Word of advice – Since events are counted as interactions, event tracking can have an impact on your bounce rate. If you don’t want events to impact your bounce rate, set the opt_noninteraction field to true.
Here are a few things you should try on your website if you’re planning to go international or have an international presence already:
- Make sure that the different country versions of the site are linked with each other. This will give users and search engines options to find these sites
- Simply ensure that the URL structure of the international version is in the correct language
- Ensure that the international versions are targeted by location and language (or suggest users to visit the relevant site). This will add a personal touch and help you go ‘glocal’.
- You should also (and this is very important) consider adding rel="alternate" hreflang="x" annotations to specify the geography & language. This tag allows Google to understand the country and language of the customers that your content is addressed to. It is easy to go wrong here and you can use tools such as this to check some of the common rel-alternate-href annotations.
- Ensure appropriate backlinks from regional websites for those locations. This will help search engines rate your site better
- Since Google+ plays an important role in SEO, make sure that you have set up Google+ pages for relevant countries
To check whether your pages are locale-adaptive or not, you can check out this link.
Content marketing is abuzz with video and how to use them for SEO. The usual way to start creating a video is by storyboarding, execution and implementation. Some more things to keep in mind are:
- In a multi-device world, seamless integration of products and services is essential. Same applies to content. Make sure that you embed your videos in HTML5.
- Ensure that you submit XML video sitemap to GWT and BWT. The information shared, revolves around the category, title, description, running time and intended audience for each campaign. Once the search engine understands that the site has rich media, it improves the listing of the site on video searches.
Do try some of these tactics and let us know your results. If you have a specific query about digital marketing, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll be happy to help. You can also ask your query on Twitter , Facebook or LinkedIn.
What you can expect in part II
The second part of the series will emphasise on 6 micro factors viz. – indexing, accessibility, onpage, links, content & site architecture.